Children hold hands as they gently splash in the water with their instructor
Children are gently guided around the water by their instructor
Children are gently guided around the water by their instructor
The newest swimmers wait for further instruction
The newest swimmers use life jackets and get lots of support from their instructor
With her brightly colored swim suit and equally sunny disposition, Leslie Paul stands poolside while she talks to the class about their upcoming lesson. Anxious to get started, the excited children quickly fall in line with their designated instructor and split off to different areas of the Windsor Oaks Pool for their third day of the week long swim training program. From the most timid of swimmers wearing fluorescent flotation devices, to confident splashers, each group is provided instruction based upon their level of comfort in the water.
Really Awesome People Swimming (RAPS) was founded by Leslie in 2007 after she found out about the high drowning rates amongst the minority population. The Hampton Roads, Virginia based organization teaches local children and teens who otherwise do not have the means to participate in swim lessons how to swim and to be safe while in, on or around the water. Leslie and her team of instructors passionately teach swimming and safety skills to children free of charge throughout the summer. Their goal is to ensure no child is left out when it comes to learning to swim due to lack of pool facilities, race or socioeconomic status.
Swimways Corp. supports Leslie and her team by donating swim training aids such as SwimWays water toys and pool noodles, and COOP waterproof balls and skateboard floats. In addition we also provide monetary support towards this worthy cause, enabling the RAPS team to ensure even more local children learn to swim.
Quick stats about RAPS:
346 children + 6 adults = 352 people served through the RAPS program in 2013
15 instructors with a combined total of 303 years of experience, and 1 lifeguard with 5 years of experience
Total number of people served through the RAPS program since 2007 = 1,315
Did you know?**
About one in five people who die from drowning are children 14 and younger. Making it the second-leading cause of unintentional injury-related death behind motor vehicle crashes.
Children ages 1 to 4 have the highest drowning rates. In 2009, among children 1 to 4 years old who died from unintentional injury, more than 30% died from drowning.
Taking part in formal swimming lessons reduces the risk of drowning among children ages 1 to 4 years.
African-American children ages 5 to 14 drown at a rate nearly three times higher than their Caucasian peers.
Nearly 80% of people who die from drowning are male.
Here’s why parents (and kids!) love our Sea Squirts PFD
1. It’s US Coast Guard Approved.
The SwimWays Sea Squirts PFD is a US Coast Guard Certified Type III Personal Flotation Device just for kids. Buoyancy technology allows for successful balance of your child’s center of gravity, giving him or her greater control and stability in the water. Straps across the chest and between the legs ensure a snug fit, keeping the flotation aid in the correct position.
2. It’s comfortable.
The quality neoprene outer cover and inner fabric liner are extremely comfortable, offering freedom of movement and comfort for continuous wear in and around the water. The cute, flexible back fin is appealing to kids and naturally folds flat so they can sit comfortably in a boat or chair.
3. They want to wear it.
Sometimes they just don’t want to wear a flotation device; that’s where the Sea Squirts PFD with its flexible fish fin comes in. So suit ‘em up for added peace of mind and let their imaginations run wild!
The experts agree!
“The Sea Squirts PFD is simply the best flotation device on the market for a child” - Mario Vittone, former U.S. Coast Guard rescue swimmer and learn to swim expert.
What parents are saying:
We sent samples of our Sea Squirts PFD around the country to real parents, here’s what they had to say about it:
“Talon could not wait to hit the beach in his blue Sea Squirts PFD. Honestly; he spent the first two days wearing it around the house, chasing his sisters because he loved it so much! While he thinks he’s pretty cool with his fins, I’m happy to know he’s safe near the water!” – Stacey, thesimplemoms.com
“We bought a life jacket for him before our day trip to Destin, but he did not like it…it almost seemed like he felt he was being smothered in it. With the Sea Squirts life jacket, he has plenty of room around his neck to feel comfortable, while still keeping him safe.” - Lynn, thephotographerswife.com
Here’s why we know you’ll love our pool float just as much as we do!
1. Durability. Unlike cheap PVC floats, the SwimWays Spring Float has durable fabric-covered inflation – it’s in a league of its own! The #1 reason people buy a Spring Float is because it stands up for itself! From happy jumping kids to lazy lounging pets on the Spring Float Paddle Paws, you know it’ll be there for you throughout the pool season.
2. Relaxation. The soft, soothing mesh hammock bed and oversized inflatable pillow of the Spring Float provide you with the ultimate luxury for your water-full experience. Other members of the Spring Float family include the SunDry with above surface flotation, the Papasan for easy conversation, the SunSeat for the best in sit-up style, and the Recliner for a first-class lounging experience. Indulge in total comfort… you deserve it!
The Spring Float SunDry Lounger provides above-surface flotation.
3. Easy set-up. Featuring Jet Valve technology; the Spring Float inflates and deflates quickly and easily – no air pump required. Within minutes you’ll be luxuriating in soothing mesh that envelops your body. Customer service tip: Pinch the base of the valve stem as you inflate your Spring Float, this will allow air to pass through as you inflate your float.
4. Ultra-portable. The Spring Float can go just about anywhere you go! Perfect for travel and a great size for your suitcase, take your favorite float with you. The patented Inner Spring twist-and-fold action turns your deflated Spring Float into a compact disc for easy storage in the included carry bag.
5. Match your outfit – Or your mood. We know you invest a lot of time when it comes to selecting the perfect bathing suit, so our Spring Float line includes bright, vivid colors, bold graphics and patterns to compliment your personal style – no need to try them on under horrible fluorescent fitting room lighting.